Saturday, August 14, 2010

We did it! BOY, did we ever!

Rid sez: It's now early Saturday AM and I'm still thinking about the simmer sauces that we made on Thursday. You know, the small batch test....the day we would either dance in the streets or shoot ourselves.

Well, they ALL came out tasting fabulous. I'm talking Superb. Fantastic. I mean, really.....I'm not being biased here... they tasted like the sauce gods came down from their gas ranges in the sky and blessed these four little creations of ours.

Michael A. and I and our better halves all got together last night and sampled each according to the directions which will appear on the labels.  Holy sh*t.   That's all I can say about how good they tasted. If someone had told me they were made in a factory-and I didn't know that, I would've said they were crazy.  They tasted like some super gourmet chef spent hours creating them.  Well...duhhh... friggin gourmets DID make them.  Us. And it has taken 8 months so far. And worth every blessed minute.

We now have samples of our latest batch. We are going to start getting real impressions from folks about what they think of them.  They better not break my heart. We feel pretty confident that they will love them all. If they don't--they're f**king morons. Simple as that.....

We still will need to address some issues regarding the sauces. They each taste great but some of the textures aren't quite right and the processes need to be re-worked.  Its not just what you use...it's how it's made, too.  Like, you never use a high speed blender on olive oil--it turns to milk and ruins the color of your food. Stuff like that.  We need the mushrooms in the Marsala sauce to be bigger pieces--ideally, we want slices.  Might be tough to do.

I did need to calm Michael A. down on Thursday however-- there came a moment when he redefined the word, "pissed".  I mean, this guy's blood pressure must've been 600 / 1000. There are those out there who have no idea about how lucky they are to still be alive this morning.  I have never seen Michael's eyes get so small as they did Thursday afternoon. They looked like two little glowing red peas. I swear, I thought the guys was going to blowtorch the entire co-packing plant!  I stayed verrry quiet.....

What was he so pissed off about?  The mushrooms in our Marsala batch were cut too small. Waaaayy too small.  Was I pissed? Nah.  It's fixable.

He's fine now-(his eyeballs have returned to normal). And so am I.  Life is good in sauceland.....for today anyway.

Next steps:  fix the texture issues, new batch of Med. Tomato sauce, new nutritionals, new Cornell? Meet with PR people. Select label printer. finalize ingredients for labels, buy UPCs, Re-do videos, new photography of jars and beauty shots of entrees with our sauces, update the website with new photos and videos, buy liability insurance, meet mushroom people (mushroom issues abound), talk to buyers, etc.

...and that;s just Monday and Tuesday of next week.

1 comment:

  1. The sauces were absolutely fab! Connie and I were so proud! ...and well fed. Keep on schedule so we can afford to quit our jobs. Just kidding, Dave. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete