Monday, October 11, 2010

Toughest critics try the Piccata

Rid here- On Saturday, my daughter called and said, "hey dad, want to meet in New Hope, PA for lunch? I jumped at the chance.  She lives in Scarsdale, NY, so its about half way for us.  I was excited to see my two grandkids, too. So we met. Had lunch. I gave her a set of the sauces to try.  She mentioned that Stacey, my youngest daughter, and her hubbie were coming to her place Sunday for dinner--and that they would try one of the sauces.

I told her they were great tasting but deep down inside I was sweating bullets.  My kids don't screw around when it comes time to hand out real honest, stern "hanging judge" type criticisms.  If we can live through this--we have it made......

Last evening the phone rang about 7:30pm.  It was the kids.  "Oh God--this is it..." I thought. They're gonna tell me that the sauce they tried was no big deal, in fact they didn't like it at all.  Lauren will say that her husband, Alan,  is having a bowl of cereal  for dinner after trying it......

My wife, Connie hands me the phone.....  I'm trying to analyze her expression. Uh oh, why is her eyebrow doing that,  Im wondering.

"SO, what did you think?", I asked.   "Well dad, we tried the Lemon piccata- had it with chicken-- prepared it just like the label said-- and the votes have been tallied," she said.

I'm now cringing.  praying. I mean, these girls of mine dont pull punches. There's a painfully long pause.......then

"AWESOME. A TEN. IT WAS REALLY  REALLY GOOD, DAD. BILL HAD THIRDS!"
"Your kidding, right?" I asked.  No, they all thought it was great. I think they were actually surprised that their father made something that actually tasted so good--and that it came from a jar.

I asked the toughest critique question of all. I mean, I had to know... "would you serve it to guests?"
"Absolutely", Lauren replied.  I wanted to drop to my knees and weep with happiness.

They made my day.  My girls loved our Lemon Piccata. I will live to see another day.

2 comments:

  1. Rid, I'm glad they loved it, too. I've met those girls and I'd be sweating bullet, too. You're in now! Keep that ball rollin'. - KD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rid - just had last night's leftovers for lunch. Tasted just as good (if not better) than last night! Keep up the good work, you saucy devil! AP

    ReplyDelete